INTREPID: Battle of the Big Bands
Saturday, May 27, 2017
7:00pm – 1:00pm
Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum (NYC)
Pier 86, W 46th Street and 12th Avenue, NYC
Hangar Deck opens at 7:00pm Flight Deck opens at 8:00pm
**Tickets on sale Monday April 3rd at 12noon EST**
click here to join the official event Facebook page!
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum and Prohibition Productionsproudly present our second annual epic battle of the big bands and swing dance on the flight deck of the historic aircraft carrier Intrepid!
This highly anticipated one-night-only special event is an official part of Fleet Week 2017 and celebrates the music, dancing, and style of the Swing Era featuring three of NYC's best big bands playing on the flightdeck on a giant fifty foot stage; plus a barbershop quartet, 1940’s-style photo booth, a vintage fashion contest, swing dance performances, dance contests, free beginner swing dance lesson, our lovely pinup gals, and you’ll find even more bands playing below deck when you explore the museum! The spectacular lineup has over 90 performers, with live music and dancing all night, plus a 2,000 square foot wood dance floor on the flight deck and 1,000sq ft on the hanger deck. 'Follow the Fleet’ with Navy-inspired outfits... vintage clothes and dance shoes are encouraged. Last year was not only completely sold out, but considered one of the best events of the year!
The Flight Deck
live music by:
* Harlem Renaissance Orchestra (18 piece)
* Glenn Crytzer Orchestra (13 piece) plus guest vocalist Hannah Gill
* Gunhild Carling with the Swingadelic Big Band (12 piece)
Each band plays a one hour set on our massive 50ft stage, and the last set features all three big bands on the same stage, battling it out -- culminating in them playing all together!
The Hanger Deck
live music by:
* Jason Prover’s Sneak Thievery Orchestra (2 sets)
* Dan Levinson's Swing Wing (2 sets)
now featuring 1,000sq ft wooden dance floor
* Gimme Four - award-winning barbershop quartet
* DJ's VaVa Voon and Odysseus Bailer
* MC Dandy Wellington
* performances by chorus gals The Bathtub Ginnys’s
* debut dance performances by our very own INTREPID SWING DANCE BRIGADE (w/choreography by Gaby Cook and Paolo Pasta Lanna)
* 1940’s style Pinup & Cigarette Gals: incl. Velvetina Taylor, Dandy Dillinger, Lilin Lace, and Georgie
* Best Dressed Contest
* Dance Contest (Jack & Jill)
* Group Dance Contest (3 or more) – winners perform at Lincoln Center’s MidSummer Night Swing!
* Free Beginner swing lessons in Hanger (30 min ea at 8:00pm and 10pm) by Gaby Cook
* Photo Booth setup w/ 1940’s era airplane
* Guided tours of the Intrepid (VIP Ticket holders only)
$35 Early Bird (April 3–April 16, or until sold out)
$45 Advanced (April 17–May 22, or until sold out)
$55 Week of / at Door (May 23rd – 27th or at door)
includes: Access to all areas of hangar deck and flight deck of the ship (except VIP area); and Swing dance lesson. Advance ticket purchase is strongly encouraged.
$75 Early Bird (April 3–April 16, or until sold out)
$85 Advanced (April 17–May 22, or until sold out)
$95 Week of / at Door (May 23rd – 27th or at door)
includes: Access to the hangar deck and flight deck of the ship; Dedicated VIP line at the door with early entry (6:45pm); VIP-only guided tasting from 7:00pm to 8:00pm hosted by our liquor sponsors; 30 min VIP-only guided tours of the Intrepid Museum btw 8-10:30pm; VIP-only reserved seating and tables in a roped-off area on flight deck; Swing dance lesson. Limited availability. Advance ticket purchase is strongly encouraged.
PLEASE NOTE: Tickets are non-refundable / event is rain or shine! (if bad weather will be held on the Flight Deck)
- - -
INTREPID: Battle of the Big Bands is presented & produced by
Prohibition Productions and the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum